Wednesday, September 10, 2008

the prophet











and his soul cried out to them, and he said:
sons of my ancient mother, you riders of the tides,
how often have you sailed in my dreams.

and now you come in my awakening, which is my deeper dream.
ready am i to go, and my eagerness with sails full set awaits the wind.

only another breath will i breathe in this still air, only another loving look cast backward,
and then i shall stand among you, a seafarer among seafarers.

and you, vast sea, sleepless mother,
who alone are PEACE & FREEDOM to the river and the stream,
only another winding will this stream make, only another murmur in this glade,
and then shall i come to you, a boundless drop to a boundless ocean.

-Khalil Gibran, The Prophet (1923)

aho!
Mohamad
10/5/2002
Wum

2 comments:

  1. IMAGE: a couple of my students (on a field trip to lake wum and its environs) looking out onto wum beyond and below. a vast verdant sea, if you will.

    even here, amidst the endless hills and valleys of infinite shades of green, can peace & freedom for the boundless drop be found. it was just harder to find.

    ReplyDelete